 Shit-eating grin. Yep. You know what it is. The kind of grin you get when there's a secret you know you shouldn't tell. The one you get when you know something that someone else doesn't. The one you get when you overhear parents telling their children, "don't run so fast, you'll fall" and the kid does it anyways and starts to cry, and you want to say, "Haha! Told ya so!". Okay, okay. So nothing that sinister, but you get the idea.
There's definitely been a lot of that going on for this month. From finally figuring out how to carve on the mountain, to stomping the shit out of ramps and boxes (though both came with a cost) and actually landing them. There's a bit of speculation for some more awesomeness later in the year and judging by the fact that its only mid-February, it's only going to get better from here on out and I can't wait!
It's finally the New Year on the lunar calendar - celebrating the year of the rabbit this time around. I never found it to be strange to celebrate two new years. Though I have to say, I'm still following some of the stuff my mother taught me, and to be honest, I intend to do them with my kids one day (: I definitely wore red, or tried to... I made sure to clean the house the day before and hung up new signs mom drew for me (some of which I can read and some ..obviously not).
So far, I've lived up to my New year's resolution. I had met with my financial adviser late last month and was flattered by all the compliments I got from him, mostly by how impressed he was that a 25 year old was worried about retirement and is willing to set up retirement funds. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks that, but the entire time I was sitting there listening to him.. I was like, wow..I feel so grown up that I'm meeting with a financial adviser.. hahaha. The one thing I'd like to work on in addition to keeping my new year's resolution would be to start managing my money better again. Time to start pinching those pennies again for 3 upcoming trips. Yes, that results in working a whole lotta hours, but definitely for a good cause. There's been talk of going to Istanbul this Autumn, Hong Kong 2012 and a cruise to the Barbados/Dominican republic 2012. Yes, that means I have to start saving now. I did the math...I have to save about $500 extra every month up until next June/July. That's a whole lotta keesh .. I'd rather be way prepared than not at all.
Looking a little bit closer to what's coming up in the next week: Matt's coming to visit again, but this time it'll be for a whole week and a half. And! We're going on vacation to Crystal Mountain on the west side of the state for a couple of days and hanging out a little bit away from the resort while we're there. We're also going to stop by Traverse city since we'll be around there anyways. I don't think I've been at the beach during the Winter time either, so it'd be interesting to see what Lake Michigan looks like in this time of year. Either way, it's gonna be awesome! I know I say that a lot, but it's true! I'm in a good place where being in an LDR isn't a lot of work because we both complement each other so well and that we're both mature about it. I don't remember being able to breathe like I can now for a long time; the same time last year..if that even makes any sense. It's funny how things turn out and how different a person can be and how much they can change in a year. I've learned the dignity of being loyal to something you believe in and of holding onto it, above everything else. I'm pretty happy about how things have turned out so far. :) The Whiteface trip was sick. I ate it really bad on a c-box: ( i didn't get to ride the rest of the box out like this dude...cause i fell into it.... hahaha) Wish I had a GoPro to re-live how ridiculous it was. I ate it on a rail too.. good thing I don't have balls...cause seriously, that would've been a huge issue. Note to self: stay away from rails......maybe. :D What else is up? Just trying to catch up with this tax season and after vacation time with Matt, it's gonna be a whole lotta sleeping, eating, working. Rinse and repeat until Octoberish. I'm sure there's gonna be interesting things between now and then, but for now, we'll just have to play it by ear and go with the flow. Oh, and this is something everyone should read:
By Justin Halpern
And for you Detroit/Michigan haters..check it out:
Let's paint the picture of the perfect place They got it better than what anyone's told you [All.The.Right.Moves.One.Republic] |