I've been avoiding posting lately simply because I just wasn't ready to close this chapter of my life. Then I really thought about it and it would honestly be an insult to her memory if I didn't. And now that I've finally made my peace with it and am less angry about the ill effects of heart disease (yet again), this one's for you, Ahri cat.
Zelda was her name before she became mine. She was a kitten that was dumped at the rDVM and they kindly took her in. Her initial physical revealed she had a heart murmur so they took her to OVRS to see the cardiologist late March. Her diagnosis: VSD with tricuspid dysplasia. Life expectancy: 2 years. She needed a home that would be able to facilitate recheck echos throughout her lifetime and daily medications and because of the cost of the care, it would be difficult to home her to just anybody.
March 24th, I took her home and renamed her Ahri. She reminded me of a character (a nine-tailed fox) both with personality and looks and couldn't resist. I think if she were personified, she'd look like this.
The girls in cardio let me test her out and she fit right in. Stood her ground with the bears, didn't take any shit from the other cats.
I had reservations bringing "yet another cat" into the home. I had just moved into the new house 4 months ago, everyone was still adjusting to the large space, but she had no problems. Let me just say that I am a firm believer of pheromone therapy - Feliway and DAP now that I've been exposed to it and have seen true results. Definitely reduces stress and anxiety.
The most heartbreaking day came 5 months after her stay with me.

August 5th, she went into
congestive heart failure.
Heart disease: 2 Me: 0 Let me tell you, I work with the best staff on the planet. But after a half a day's worth of hospitalization, she just wasn't getting any better - worse even.
It was the first time in my life
 that I had to make the decision to let her go.
A is for able, for you surely were H is for heart, warm and loving R is for relax, you sure knew how I is for intense, you had a zest for living
As Irving Townsend once said,
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a worn-out coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four five cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.
Tell everyone I said hi up there. I still miss you a whole lot, Ahri cat.
Wait for me at the bridge, okay?
|
what a beautiful tribute betty - she was so lucky to have found you because you gave her the power to survive as long as she did. many hugs your way ~ you truly deserve them.